How do I transpose a table?

From: Lee Farrant <leefarrant_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 15 May 2002 11:35:53 -0700

I think the word for this is transpose but I am not sure.

I have a table which is in the following format

Customer 1	Subscriber 1
Customer 1	Subscriber 2
Customer 1	Subscriber 3
Customer 1	Subscriber 4
Customer 2	Subscriber 5
Customer 2	Subscriber 6
Customer 3	Subscriber 7
Customer 3	Subscriber 8

I need to transform this table into the following format so there is only one record for each customer and the subscriber fields 1-x are going across the table.

Customer 1	Subscriber 1	Subscriber 2	Subscriber 3	Subscriber 4
Customer 2	Subscriber 5	Subscriber 6
Customer 3	Subscriber 7	Subscriber 8

Its unusual that a customer will more than 4 subscriptions but basically I will not no which customer has the most subscriptions until a process the table in some way, I assume I would need this information to decide how many subscription columns to create on the new table. am i making sense?

Is there any code SQL out there that will already do this that I could edit as I am very stuck.

thanks

Lee leefarrant_at_hotmail.com Received on Wed May 15 2002 - 13:35:53 CDT