Two Oracle owners on one box .....

From: Patrick Meyer <buckeye234_at_excite.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 18:29:53 +0000 (UTC)

Due to technical requirements, I need to have two seperate UNIX accounts both be owners of seperate Oracle instalations on a UNIX (AIX 4.3) server.

Both versions are 8.1.7.3. One version is a mission critical application that is part of an HACMP cluster with a second AIX server. The second owner will have non-critical databases that will not be part of the HACMP configuration.

We installed all binaries for the 1st owner (HACMP config) in sharable disks that will fail-over with the HACMP services. The second owner will not have oracle installed on the disks that fail-over.

The root of my problem is the /etc/oraInst.loc file and the /etc/oratab file. The current Oracle Inventory location, as indicated in /etc/oraInst.loc, is a directory owned by owner1. Owner2 has no permissions on this directory and I want to keep it that way.

Is it a viable option to manually edit the /etc/oraInst.loc file and have it point to the correct inventory location, based on the user doing the install? I tried this and it works, but I want to know if I am causing problems that will appear later. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick