Seeking advice: Oracle9i certification?

From: Danny <prodbsolutions_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 15 May 2002 05:47:11 -0700

Dear All,

I have been a PROGRESS database developer with an IT company for about 3 years. During the employment period, I had to be involved in some of the basic responsibilities of the ORACLE DBA, for instance: Starting up and shutting down instances, quering tables, exporting/importing tables, and upgrading tables structures. I consider myself as new to the Oracle world. but I have always found that learning ORACLE is quite fascinating.

Due to some changes in the company's internal structure, it has been so unfortunate that I had to leave the job as my position was no longer available. I have been trying to find a suitable PROGRESS position for several months with no success.

I have now decided that I would like to take the ORACLE9i certifications, OCA and hopefully OCP, as I have found that the future of ORACLE seems more promising than PROGRESS.

I have been thinking of getting a set of ORACLE9i certification books (probably OCP Oracle9i DBA Certification Boxed Set by by Jason S.) I have read a couple of ORACLE books, such as ORACLE8i DBA Handbook and ORACLE SQL. I have also been practising ORACLE8 on NT4 server outside work. The server will be installed with the ORACLE9i soon.

My objective is now to get the ORACLE9i certifications (hopefully both OCA and OCP), then find a suitable job in ORACLE. I might start from the scratch again in terms of the salary, which is acceptable to me.

My questions are:
- Am I in the right track?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Danny Received on Wed May 15 2002 - 07:47:11 CDT