Re: Seeking advice: Oracle9i certification?

From: Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 13:17:37 GMT

On 15 May 2002, Danny wrote:

> I have now decided that I would like to take the ORACLE9i
> certifications, OCA and hopefully OCP, as I have found that the future
> of ORACLE seems more promising than PROGRESS.
> - Given a limited budget, would these method be adequate for me, to be
> able to perform well in the exams?

If you examine your course guides, you will discover that you can take either 1ZO-001 or 1ZO-007 for your intro to sql exam.

I took 1ZO-001. In this exam, you will cover material on Oracle's PL/SQL extensions that let you create procedural objects within the Oracle SQL environment. This material has been omitted from 1ZO-007. If you want to have a better introduction to development with Oracle, then take this exam.

However, 1ZO-007 brings in material from ANSI SQL 99, including the new SELECT clauses (JOIN, CASE, NULLIF, COALESCE), the MERGE command, etc. If ANSI SQL 99 is your thing, you should take this exam.

1ZO-001 cost me $100 when I took it; I had to mention discount code "S36" when I registered.

1ZO-007 costs $90 over the web.

You might also consider first certifying for Oracle 8i. It is more appropriate for legacy Oracle (including 7). This track is much more expensive, though.

    / Charles J. Fisher              | A bad design with a good presentation /
   /  cfisher_at_rhadmin.org            | is doomed eventually. A good design  /
  /   http://rhadmin.org             | with bad presentation is doomed     /
 /                                   | immediately.                       /