export/import puzzler

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 13:15:16 GMT

Platform: Ora 8.0.5 EE and 8.1.7 EE on NT

Given an 8.0.5 database, we took a full export with the following parms:

userid=SYSTEM/******@WRPTDB
FULL=Y
FILE=F:\ORAEXP\WRPT\WRPTFULL.DMP
LOG=F:\ORAEXP\WRPT\FULL.LOG
RECORDLENGTH=4096
BUFFER=20480
ROWS=Y
GRANTS=Y
INDEXES=Y
COMPRESS=N
CONSTRAINTS=Y Then we installed 8.1.7 on a clean system, built the db (but did not create a user schema) and ran an import with the following parm file:

userid=system/******@wrptdb
FROMUSER=NMM
TOUSER=NMM
FILE=F:\ORAEXP\WRPT\WRPTFULL.DMP
LOG=F:\ORAEXP\WRPT\ImpNMM.LOG
RECORDLENGTH=4096
BUFFER=40960
ROWS=Y
GRANTS=Y
INDEXES=Y
IGNORE=Y
COMMIT=Y On the first attempt, the first 2 tables loaded fine, but the third started throwing

IMP-00019: row rejected due to ORACLE error 1400
IMP-00003: ORACLE error 1400 encountered
ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into ("NMM"."CAL_DAY"."CAL_DAY_NME")

Very puzzling, seeing as how the table definition that created the NOT NULL constraint came from the same export that created the supposedly null data.

Knowing it wasn't a real solution, we truncated the 3 tables that had been touched, removed the NOT NULL constraint from the problem table, and re-ran the import. This time it got to the 3d table, pegged the CPU, and seemed to just sit there. I left it overnight, then killed it this morning. (It didn't respond to ctrl-C, so I used NT Task Mgr to knock it down.) This action did not allow the process to close the log file, so it still shows a length of zero and is thus unreadable. A SELECT COUNT on the problem table returned a count of over 38 MILLION rows, when we know the original only had around 14,000 rows.

So . . . . lets
SELECT
   COMMENTS,
   IDEAS,
   CRITICISM,
   SOLUTION
FROM
   NEWSGROUP_PARTICIPANTS;

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)