Re: oracle is crap how to switch to ms-sql

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 12 May 2002 10:18:22 -0700

"Fred Nurk" <frnurk_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<44rD8.8700$b5.28915_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...
> What about "master-bates" ?
>
> koert54 wrote in message ...
> >maybe you should rename your nick from 'master-dba' to 'crap-dba'
> >
> >"master-dba" <master-dba_at_aol.com> wrote in message
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> oracle is so old-fashioned how easily can one switch to
> >> foxpro or access ?
> >>
> >> or should I use sqlserver ?
> >>
> >> can i operate it with a windows-gui ?
> >>
> >> we have a large database with 300mb which is very slow,
> >> can such a huge database be loaded in sql-server ??
> >>
> >> what hardware do i need ?
> >>
> >> we work with oracle 7.0.1.3.4.5 on novell

The release of Oracle you are complaining about is at least 7 years old. The never releases come with several GUI tools. Perhaps you should consider upgrading to a supported version, and then you would be making a fairer comparison.

Also 300MB is a very small database; Out main OLTP has tables whose PK size exceeds 300MB. Performance of any database is at least partially dependent on the hardware configuration upon which you run it, and on the tuning effort put into the application SQL/objects. When was the last time any of the indexes in your problem system were rebuilt? Statistics updated? Tables re-organized?

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Sun May 12 2002 - 12:18:22 CDT