Re: Help On Performance Issue

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 22:36:01 +0200

Please, don't do that: pctincrease should be left 0. Uniform extent management is today's space management strategy and pctincrease !=0 destroys this.
Locally managed tablespaces enforce this (why would Oracle have invented it you think?).

And the cost based optimizer WAS crap in the first versions it was introduced (was it V7.1 and V7.2??).
In Oracle 8 and 8i it works fairly good. Maybe when you have well tuned sql statements rule based is better, but not in general.

Also: to have a table in 1 extent is a myth too. Other threads discuss this intensively.
An excessive number of extents is bad and you should indead check if that's the case here.
What is excessive? Many different opinions but my personal rule is: create the table/index with an extent size that makes the table or index 100 extents or less at it's estimated maximum size. Limit it to only 4 or 5 different extent sizes for all tables and 4 or 5 for indexes.
When a segment grows to 500 extents consider reorganizing. When that's a problem, 1000 extents is ok too.

But the real question here is the plan and performance difference. Nothing to add to what is said already.

vob <vob_at_aol.com> schreef in berichtnieuws abjhj7$ps1$06$1_at_news.t-online.com...