Re: newbie Q: installing Oracle on machine without graphic adapter (cygwin)?

From: Igor Laletin <ilaletin_at_usa.net>
Date: 9 May 2002 03:25:38 -0700

"Frank Ratzlow" <ratzlow_at_nospammimg.scienion.de> wrote in message news:<ab83eg$2ov$1_at_rhodos.FTA-Berlin.de>...
> just for information:
>
> Cygwin worked very well.

Congratulations. As a finishing touch let's fix some wording :)

>1. Install an X-Server _and_ X-client on my windowse (in my case
Cygwin)

You need only x-server for oracle installation. X-client is oracle installer running on sun box.

>2. Install an X-Server according to Igor on the SUN

You've installed x-*software* on your sun box. X-server(s) is just a part of the package. You don't really need it on sun because there is no graph card there. What you do need are x shared libraries for x-client running on sun. In your case x-client is oracle universal installer.

> Unlike the Oracle Installer (dbca) but this is
> another story....

Dbca (dbassist) is _not_ oracle installer. It's database configuration assistant - gui for database creation, deletion and reconfig.

Cheers,
Igor