Re: Benchmarks was Re: Which one is better? Oracel 9i or DB2 7.2??

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 09 May 2002 11:36:31 +0100 (BST)

Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net> wrote:

>Maybe that kind of behaviour is ethically wrong, but oftenly used. I
>do not think that is even possible to cheat in TPC benchmark, but in
>non-database area we've seen a lot of cheating in benchmarking
>recently.

What do you count as "cheating"? If you read TPC-C reports in detail you can find plenty of slightly dubious practices. Certainly you won't find any large Oracle TPC-C reports that don't use underscore parameters in the init.ora, and there are some that get used that are distinctly iffy.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/