Re: ORACLE_HOME for upgrade

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 00:24:31 +0200

"Vince Laurent" <vlaurent_at_NOSPAMPLEASE.networkusa.net> wrote in message news:u55jduk583unicbra8r47ou2mo6rihndnp_at_4ax.com...
> We are currently running Oracle 8.0.6.2 with the ORACLE_HOME set as
> /oracle/SID. The upgrade docs for 8.1.7 say set the new home to
> /oracle/SID/817_64.
>
> Well, what happens to all the 8.0.6 parts of Oracle that are
> upgraded/replaced by 8.1.7? What happens when I want to upgrade to 9i
> or something else? Will I need an /oracle/SID/9i_64?
>
> What I am trying to find out is disk space requirements. I have 2G
> currently for /oracle/SID. The upgrade docs say I 1.7G for the new
> home. What I would like to do is recover the space 8.0.6.2 used and
> use it for 8.1.7 (and so on in the future). We don't have 2G to toss
> at the system every time Oracle needs to be updated.
>
> Thanks!
> Vince

I'm not sure what your concern is.
First of all, disk is cheap, and 2G is nothing nowadays. Secondly, you seem to have all of the oracle_homes incorrect, the convention in OFA is /u<x>/app/oracle/product/8.1.7 and the SID is definitely not involved.
Thirdly, wisdom dictates that you shouldn't overwrite your current software, in order to be capable to thoroughly test the new release. So: why are you concerned, when after the test period you can simply deinstall the old release and doing so 'recover' diskspace? It looks like to me your installation currently already has almost no free space. It maybe cheaper to avoid juggling with free space, and simply buy a new disk.

Please don't crosspost.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker