and one more: dbca hangs at 50% (Solaris 8 + Oracle 9i)

From: Frank Ratzlow <frank_ratzlow_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 May 2002 15:33:45 -0700

Hallo NG,

I think to have read any article regarding this well know prob on google but it obviously didn't help.
Problem: I installed the Oracle9i Server. Everything went smooth till I got to the point of creating an "General purpose database". At 50% the wizard hangs. (Yes, I waited for several hours) I changed settings in /etc/system to the ones specified in the Oracle Doku. No change. I made further modification and finally I finished with getting a load of error message boxes. I quick look in bdump/alert_<SID>.log showed the following lines:

Tue May 7 00:01:01 2002
Starting ORACLE instance (normal)
Tue May 7 00:01:03 2002
Errors in file /opt/Oracle/admin/paul/udump/paul_ora_501.trc:
ORA-27146: post/wait initialization failed
ORA-27300: OS system dependent operation:semget failed with status: 28
ORA-27301: OS failure message: No space left on device
ORA-27302: failure occurred at: sskgpcreates
Tue May 7 00:01:03 2002
Errors in file /opt/Oracle/admin/paul/udump/paul_ora_501.trc:
ORA-27302: failure occurred at: skgpwreset1
ORA-27303: additional information: invalid shared ctx
ORA-27146: post/wait initialization failed
ORA-27300: OS system dependent operation:semget failed with status: 28
ORA-27301: OS failure message: No space left on device
ORA-27302: failure occurred at: sskgpcreates

---------------------------------------
I checked the amount of available disk space and memory - no prob, a
plenty was free.

Settings in /etc/system:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967296
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
set shmsys:shminfo_semmni=400
set shmsys:shminfo_semmsl=100
set shmsys:shminfo_semmns=350
set shmsys:shminfo_semopm=100
set shmsys:shminfo_semvmx=32767

---------------------------------------

Configuration of the machine:
SUN E250
2 CPUs
1 GB mem
4 x 36 GB SW-based RAID
about 1.7 GB swap space
Solaris 8 with latest patches

I would be very very grateful for any advice enabling me to create a damn db. I have no idea what exactly went wrong or where to beginn troubleshooting. There are lots of requests of the same kind in the archive but unfortunately I couldn't find any note stating: change this to build up your db.
Or is Oracle just charging provision from all the therapists out there ...?

If you can point me to a page showing how to calculate what values to fix this prob I would be very grateful.

TIA Frank
frank_ratzlow_at_nojunk.hotmail.com Received on Mon May 06 2002 - 17:33:45 CDT