Re: Sql BackTrack vs RMAN

From: Sathish Balas <sathishudercor_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 22:27:07 GMT

I was looking for somebody to answer this question . I have used both these products but do not have a lot of experience . I hope i can help you with few tips . I would rather wait for guru's to answer . Let us see if my answers triggers a response .

We changed from using SQL Backtrack to RMAN . RMAN gives us cost savings . But still you would have to pay for MML software license . That would be the same with SQL Backtrack also .

I think Backup Manager could be used with RMAN as it gui . But i have so far never tried to do that . I myself prefer the RMAN Scripts . They are fairly easier to write .

RMAN (and sql backtrack) would read the archive log files from tape and do a restore and recover .

I think RMAN has a duplicate database feature which i have never used .

You can surely review the catalog or control file to see the backups that were done before and validate the backupsets . Validate backupset is like dry run recovery of sql backtrack .

Both the products are similar and RMAN gives us cost savings .