Re: Which one is better? Oracel 9i or DB2 7.2??

From: The Nomad <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 15:04:33 GMT

> > In update triggers, you cannot modify the table that triggered the
update -
> > the result will be something they call a "mutating table" error.
> > The only way around this is to create an extremely complex package of
> > "trigger helper functions" and copy data into temporary arrays. This is
very
> > painful.

I don't think I stated the issue clearly. You cannot update other rows in the table being updated. My issue was as follows:

I have parent-child relationships in a table. So, updating one row results in the need to update maybe 10 other rows. You can't do this in Oracle 8i because you can't modify a mutating table. During the update process, I have to cache up the changes into arrays. Then, in the after part of the trigger, I process all the child updates. It is VERY painful.

Marc Received on Sat May 04 2002 - 10:04:33 CDT