Re: How does OEM remotely start DB's?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 18:59:27 +0200

On Fri, 03 May 2002 14:08:24 GMT, dale_at_databee.com (Dale Edgar) wrote:

>Hi All
>
>Does anyone have any details on how OEM remotely starts and stops
>Oracle DB's. Much digging on Google indicates that that it might use
>the Oracle Agent for this.
>
>Is there an API for the Oracle Agent?
>
>How can an Oracle DB be remotely started/stopped (programmatically -
>rather than with clever rsh,rexec or telnet scripts)?
>
>Thanks
>Dale Edgar
>Net 2000 Ltd
>Need to document your Oracle Schemas? Download the Free DBATool and
>generate an interlinked HTML tree of your database DDL.
>http://www.DataBee.com/dt_home.htm

Likely it uses the Oracle Agent and a database can be restarted only through OEM or directly on the server
There is no API for Oracle Agent, and as I can guess what you are up to, I can only say: and that is GOOD. No DBA will want to have everyone to be capable to shutdown the database and restart it. Inevitably there will be an idiot or a hacker (please cross all that apply) that is going to try it.

Oracle is not a toy like Microsoft Access which simply crashes many times a day when the database has reached a certain size. The procedure you seem to advocate is IMO highly unprofessional. If you allow this, do you think the person initiating the restart is going to recover the database if the restart doesn't work? Please reconsider.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri May 03 2002 - 11:59:27 CDT