Re: Databases in a server box

From: NoName <PlayMan_at_Somewhere.com>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 16:56:12 GMT

Thanks for you all. Good education.

Here is my situation:

In a SQL server (say, a clustered node with 8 CPU, 8G RAM), we host 30 DB's, including small ones like Company Web (not too much in the DB), Employee Directory, Time Sheet,... No problem.

Now, they are developing a new Company Web and want to host on Oracle. The DBA requests new clustered servers with 4 CPU 4 G RAM in each node. The top boss wants to migrate Employee Directory to Oracle, the DBA requests another new server box with at least 4 CPU 4 G RAM; Time Sheets to be hosted in Oracle, yet they need another powerful new box or a clustered system. So if we move the 30 DB from SQL to Oracle, do they really need to buy 30 new powerful server boxes? Can't they just share one or a few like we do in MS SQL? I am learning Oracle, have read a few books already. Never see anything like this mentioned in any books or articles.

Thanks again.