Re: LOST DataBase Password

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 2 May 2002 17:49:49 -0700

In article <aascnj$fat$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>, "Howard says...

>A rollback segment you claimed wasn't there.
>
>And when asked for proof that it wasn't there, you flounced off in a hissy
>fit.
>
>Leaving the impression to all and sundry that it was possible to create a
>database without a system rollback segment. Which as we all now acknowledge,
>finally, is not true. My gripe was that you had left on record something
>which was deeply misleading and unhelpful, and never corrected, despite
>being given the opportunity to correct it.
>
>It's the helpfulnes quotient of posts I'm getting at. That seems to have
>gone south over the past few months. I have no quarrel with sarcasm (the
>highest form of wit, in my book) or plain bad-moodism, provided there's some
>help at the end of it.

I'd put it a slightly different way actually. I think there are still lots of helpful posts here, but I would say the number of negative posts with no content in them has increased.

>Regards
>HJR
>

>"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
>> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
>>
>> > "RSH" <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>like
>the
>> > >

>> > Missing the point entirely, I think. If I have given advice in 'strong'
>> > mode, at least I have given advice. Comments such as 'do you have an
>> > operating system' or 'that was lethal' give no advice to anyone.
>> >
>> > Moving on.

>> > Sorry, I must have missed that "helpful response". I saw a post that
>said
>> > "that was lethal" and that was *all* it said. Whatever.

>first
>> > >

>> > Let me refresh your memory: "I can't say I've never passed the
>smart-assed
>> > comment to prove my superiority, because I have. And I instantly regret
>it
>> > the second the SEND button is clicked. But I think I have managed to
>avoid
>> > the complete put-down; the 'God, you must be stupid' comment; the 'I
>know so
>> > much I can't be bothered to treat you as someone in need' post."
>> >
>> > Now, where was the claim of saintliness you seem to imply I was making?
>> >
>> > HJR

>other

>prove
>> > my
>the
>> > SEND

>you
>> > treat

>my
>files.
>> > does
>> > recorded

>> Just to beat this to death.
>>
>> My point was not to be insulting. But rather that if we knew what
>operating
>> system the person had it would be possible to offer some additional
>advice. For
>> example if it was on a Windows platform using ORADIM to recreate the
>internal
>> password. ORADIM would not get you very far with Solaris.
>>
>> However Howard ... I do recall you beating a certain rollback segment into
>> near catatonic state and over a period of more than two years. So welcome
>to the
>> party.
>>
>> Daniel Morgan

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Thu May 02 2002 - 19:49:49 CDT