Re: Creating Tables

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 01:42:14 +0200

Comments embedded
"mtwalla" <mtwalla_at_bluefishgroup.com> wrote in message news:Q_jA8.4781$VQ6.602987_at_news.uswest.net...
> If I am creating tables/database objects specific to an application who
> should be the owner of those tables? Should I create them to be owned by
SYS

AAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
NEVER EVER do this. SYS is the owner of the datadictionary and is not exported. You should your hands have chopped off for even considering it.

> and then create public synonymns on the tables/objects? Or should I have
an
> application user who owns the tables/objects
YES and if so, should I create
> Synonyms on them?

YES. In an ideal world the owner should have revoked create session privilege after the deed or the account locked,. as you can't protect the owner of the tables against itself. Too many people are always connect as application owner in Oracle, and as the user Oracle on their O/S. One slip of the finger and you have havoc.
Or is there some other approach altogether? Hardcode the owner of the object in front of every object name in selects etc.
Bad idea (tm)
Thanks! I know
> how to create tables, write the DDL, etc. I'm just fuzzy on the ownership
of
> the objects.

Please do not crosspost and multipost.

Regards