Re: Oracle 8i and Windows 2000 Server

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 17:33:03 +0200

"Shum" <shumnahal_at_telus.net> wrote in message news:E5Rz8.357$rS5.84170_at_news2.telusplanet.net...
> Hi, I am new to this so please bare with me....
>
> I have installed Oracle 8i on a Windows 2000 Server Domain Controller.
> Everytime I go to log in through Oracle SQL *Plus I get the following
error:

> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist.
>
> All help is greatly appreciated.!

Installing an Oracle database is a *bad* idea, (as the domain controller is constantly polling with connected systems), but that doesn't need necessarily to be the reason for the ora-1034. Oracle needs to grab a piece of virtual memory known within Oracle as System Global Area. Without further info I can only assume a) you have set the init<sid>.ora parameters too high (above all shared_pool_size and db_block_buffers and java_pool_size) b) your system has insufficient RAM and/or incorrect pagefile settings.

You need to provide more detail if you want the group to help you out.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA