Re: Oracle 8i on RS/6000 AIX question.

From: Howard Rogers <Howard.Rogers_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:06:54 +1000

Oracle 8i on RS/6000 AIX question.Is the problem one of length of transactions causing blocking, or concurrency of access? If it's long-running transactions, processor speed would help. But I suspect it's concurrency issues, in which case more processors is likely to be the better way forward.

On the other hand, have you implemented a Multi-threaded Server configuration yet or not? It's quite conceivable that a properly-implemented MTS configuration would make far more effective use of the resources you already posess, and you wouldn't have to upgrade anything.

There really isn't enough information to go on to offer meaningful advice beyond these basic generalities.

Regards
HJR (PS. HTML posting is not exactly recommended)

"Todd Parnell" <TParnell_at_sauder.com> wrote in message news:D577E02F49A4A8498167BA5E41424D4703C5B674_at_expf1... We are using a dual-processor RISC machine and we are CPU bound at certain times. We are a pretty standard OLTP type of operation. The question has come up, would we be better off doubling the processor speed or doubling the number of processors? As far as Oracle is concerned, the latter is more expensive. I would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has encountered this. Thanks,
Todd Parnell Received on Mon Apr 29 2002 - 17:06:54 CDT