Re: "SYSTEM RUNNING OUT OF PAGING SPACE" (AIX-HACMP-Oracle)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 19:11:46 +0200

"chao_ping" <chao_ping_at_163.com> wrote in message news:3ccad036$1_at_usenetgateway.com...
> If Oracle initsid.ora(that is SGA size) does not change, why Oracle will
> use more memory? Maybe your SQL execution path has changed because of
> the oracle version changes. Try set optimize_mode=rule and restart your
> oracle, maybe it works as before. To add more paging space, you do not
> need reboot your machine, just use mkps command to add and activate this
> new paging space.
>

> --
> an oracle fan,
> an oracle beginner

Sorry to correct you. Oracle 8.1.7 has a lot of added features compared to 7.3.4. It would be quite understandable the oracle executable consumes more memory because of that, one reason alone is the JVM located in Oracle. And, IIRC, the default for the java pool is 20M and the java pool doesn't even occur in 7.3.4. If the OP doesn't use java, he would do better by setting the java_pool_size to 32768 (32k, the absolute minimum) and bounce the instance.

Your advice to restart Oracle with optimizer_mode = rule is inadequate. Maybe the OP is running with CBO, and if he is he should stick to that. Maybe the OP is running with optimizer_mode = choose and he doesn't have any statistics on his tables, so he is using rule, and your advice won't make any difference to him. He shouldn't be running the rule based optimizer as that hasn't been changed since 1994, which is in IT more than a few generations ago.

The remark about adding paging space is sensible.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA