Re: Remote connection in SQLplus: ORA-06401: NETCMN....

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 08:24:40 +1000

What Sybrand has been saying to you is that your tnsnames.ora file is perfectly correct, and the correct syntax for any connection, remotely or not, is connect X/Y_at_MAIN (ie, you put the tnsnames alias after the "@", not the stuff you were putting there).

However, I think the point that may have been missed is that your remote connection needs to be made from a machine onto which the Oracle client has been installed. You will then, on that remote machine, have an ORACLE_HOME\network\admin directory. You need then simply copy the tnsnames.ora that you already have working on the one machine into that directory on the other, and then you should be able to connect in the fashion I've described above (ie, using the tnsnames.ora alias).