Re: Unix filesystem: use buffered IO or direct IO?

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:19:49 GMT

I fel like a complete fossil now. I've been using Raw I/O for years and have had great results. No VXFS, volume managers, or anything else in the way, just me and

c1t0d1s0

et al

(well of course not ...s0, that must be owned by root and unwritable to anyone).
(and s6, and... well okay. yeah it isn't easy, but it is hardly rocket science)

Well, okay, so I don't get fancy GUI screens, and "would you like nutmeg on your cappucino while we build your partitions?"/

But I do get performance.
I have loathed Oracle's doubletalk for years over the matter of Raw partitions.