Re: Unix filesystem: use buffered IO or direct IO?

From: Michael Brown <mlbrown_at_apps-dba.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:09:08 -0400

On 23 Apr 2002 15:10:03 GMT, chao_ping <chao_ping_at_163.com> wrote:

>Since some unix filesystem like sun ufs and veritas vxfs now support
>direct I/O, from steve adams's site, it seems that using direct I/O is
>better than use buffered I/O. For example, i have a system like: 8CPU/8G
>mem/2 T3 Raid5/Veritas VXFS. This is an OLTP system, most wait event is
>db file sequential read. Which option shall i use? use direct I/O, or
>just general buffered I/O?Any one have some experience? And if using
>Quick I/O, since it act like raw device,How much memory shall i leave
>for the filesystem buffer ?

db file sequential read is either random single block reads or transfers from the TEMP tablespace during a sort. The TEMP tablespace I/O might benefit from buffering, but odds are the random single block reads won't see any benefit from system buffers assuming that your raid hardware has a write cache (writes to RAID 5 require at least 4 i/o operations). If you do not have a write cache, you need to leave the system buffer cache on. Otherwise, switch to direct i/o, if you notice a slow down in sorts that have to go to disk, turn the buffers back on for the temp tablespace (if it is on a seperate file system) or consider increasing your sort area size (which implies rebuilding your TEMP tablespace to keep the extent size appropriate). Received on Tue Apr 23 2002 - 12:09:08 CDT