Re: Ok let me ask that again - maybe someone intelligent will answer this time

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 06:54:15 +0200

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 20:26:36 -0600, "evonbart" <evonbart_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I need information and feedback on the different aspects of implimenting a
>web
>based application with an existing oracle database server. If I
>wanted to write my front end in ASP as opposed to Cold Fusion, is the
>following feasible?
>
>- Use an NT server with IIS and connect to a Unix Oracle server?
>- Create DSNs from my ASP application to my Oracle servers
>- Convert my Unix Oracle data to Windows NT Oracle.
>
>What are the benefits to leaving my database in Oracle as opposed to
>migrating it to Microsoft SQL Server (besides the simple fact that you
>all loathe Microsoft). I realize Oracle is seriously powerful and
>since my company has been heading in that direction for some time, I
>would like to keep the advantage of all the Oracle knowledge we have.
>
>I'm just hoping someone will write and tell me that I can set up a
>connection to my Unix Oracle servers through ODBC (or something
>similar) with as much ease as I can with my MS-SQL servers. This
>would be HUGE cost savings and prove that Oracle can co-exist with
>whatever platform we will use in the future. We're trying to push to
>keep Oracle as a primary tool and any information you can provide
>would be appreciated very much.
>
>Thanks
>Erik

The benefits of leaving your data in Oracle are you can migrate your database to a *scalable* O/S. Microsoft O/Ses will probably *never* be as scalable as Unix.

>I'm just hoping someone will write and tell me that I can set up a
>connection to my Unix Oracle servers through ODBC (or something
>similar) with as much ease as I can with my MS-SQL servers.

Of course. Hey, this is Oracle! Oracle is *fully* compatible across all platforms. You wouldn't be advised to avoid using ODBC though, ODBC is just a slow can of worms, as it is a *generic* layer. If you don't use any other database software, you would best use native Oracle drivers.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Apr 24 2002 - 23:54:15 CDT