Re: Best practices for "RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE"

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 24 Apr 2002 21:10:32 -0700

In article <3CC746A4.6452BC06_at_noaa.gov>, Thomas says...

>Folks -
>
>I'm having a grand ol' time prototyping some standby databases,
>and I'm having good luck. One unknown element, however, remains
>and I'm a bit puzzled about how to deal with it.
>
>When a DBA issues a "RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE" against
>a standby database to place it in managed mode in SQL*Plus, this
>command never, ever returns until an "alter database recover
>managed standby database cancel" is done via another session. That's
>expected behavior, I know. I'm curious about ways that you fine
>folks place a standby database into more-or-less permanent managed
>mode without keeping a console window always open.
>
>I'm prototyping my stuff on a Win2000 box, although we might be on
>Linux for the real thing. On Linux, would you recommend writing a shell
>script,
>run it in the background, and then log off the operating system? What
>if we do this in Win2000? If I execute the "recover..." command via an
>MS-DOS batch file, will the batch file continue to execute even if the
>OS
>user logs off?
>
>Could you fill me in on how you're turning on and off the managed
>recovery mode of your standby server? Any other sage advice?
>
>Thanks so much,
>Tom

Not sure if this is considered sage advice or not, but this is handled much more neatly in 9i, where you have the option to do the equivalent of a nohup on the RECOVER command. The syntax is RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE DISCONNECT FROM SESSION. Just in case anyone is wondering why I disappeared off the face of the earth for the past couple of weeks, back at the beginning of April I got a herniated disc in my back. I tried going back to work for a couple of mornings but it's getting worse. I've finally found a way of setting up a laptop so I can type while I'm lying down, which will come in handy when I have the surgery that is looking more and more like a requirement. :(

I've just started going through the backlog of news messages that accumulated while I've been out of it, so if there suddenly appear to be answers to age-old questions that might be why.

Oh, I can definitely recommend the combination of drugs the doc has got me on at the moment. If anyone wants to fly without using a plane send me an email and I'll tell you the names of the drugs! ;)

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Wed Apr 24 2002 - 23:10:32 CDT