Re: Connecting SQL Server 7 database to Oracle Database Server

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 18:08:46 +0100

"Jack" <jack.wilson_at_orst.edu> wrote in message news:92ef2205.0204051213.12734940_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I am running a SQL Server (version 7) wherein I am trying to utilize
> the link server manager from the enterprise manager to connect to a
> Oracle database server located in another domain. It has not work. I
> have read where I need to install SQL*NET for this to work. I do have
> Oracle 8.1.6 installed on my SQL Server. Apparently NET8 has replaced
> SQL*NET? I am trying to comprehend on how to configure this so I can
> link the SQL server to the Oracle database server utilizing the link
> server tool in SQL enterprise management. I am new to this and
> haven't a clue on how to accomplish this linking? Any suggestions are
> welcomed. Thanks......
>
> Jack

Yes, for SQL*Net read Net8.

Basically, to get this to work, SQL Server needs to 'see' the Oracle database as an OLE DB data source.

You'll need the Oracle client software on the SQL Server box (the one housing the database, not the one with Enterprise Manager); see Howard's notes for this. Then install and configure the ODBC driver or whatever, and you're on your way.

When testing the connection, it's useful to test layer by layer; for example (assuming you're using TCP/IP)

  1. Ensure you can ping the box where the Oracle server is.
  2. Having installed and configured Oracle client, ensure you can tnsping the Oracle instance.
  3. Ensure you can connct to the Orace database using, say, SQL*Plus.
  4. Install and configure the ODBC driver (the ones bundled with the Oracle client are OK).
  5. Verify connectivity to the ODBC data source using, say, the Oracle utility odbctst.exe

This aids troubleshooting.

Hope this helps,
Paul Received on Sat Apr 06 2002 - 11:08:46 CST