Re: netasst don't work on Linux RH7.2 Oracle 8.1.7

From: samy atoui <s.atoui_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 00:02:15 +0200

FreeWorld wrote:

> Do you remember the name of the patch or URL?
>
> P.S. netca, dbassist work fine only netasst don't work.
>
> Thank you
>
> "Karol Kisielewski" <kkisiele_at_elka.pw.edu.pl> ha scritto nel messaggio
> >
> > "FreeWorld" <test_at_freemailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > > I have installed Oracle 8.1.7 on Linux RH7.2. it has been hard, but now
> > it
> > > seems
> > > to work.
> > > The comand netasst does not work if started from server.
> > > Is it my problem or is a bug?
> > bug; you have to download and apply a patch which can be download from
> > www.oracle.com

Hello FreeWorld,
first the bad news:
I wasn't able to fix the problem under RH 7.1, 7.2. Applied patch to 8.1.7.2 and problem still remains. Search google for "netasst" and "Linux", you will find plenty of posts about this. The only solution seems to be to set up your basic network configuration with netca (net configuration assistant) and after that edit your needed ascii-files (tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora...). If you tried to start netasst, check running processes. netasst (the jre) often starts 8-9 processes, consuming about 99% of CPU. If that happens, 'killall -9 jre' is your friend. Only my opinion...

Public available patches for Linux, Oracle 8.1.7 are under:

ftp://oracle-ftp.oracle.com/server/patchsets/unix/LINUX/817patchsets/ I noticed this evening there is patch to 8.1.7.3 available, haven't tested it yet.
Please sent a message if it solved the netasst problem. Good luck
Manuela Mueller Received on Wed Apr 03 2002 - 16:02:15 CST