Re: Latch spin - OS timeslice

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 02:14:50 GMT

Yong Huang doodled thusly:

>Good point. I guess we can AskTom!
>
>"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<1017339367.28811.0.nnrp-13.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>...
>> Oh yes it can ! ;)
>>
>> If it weren't pretty arbitrary, why is it the same
>> for every platform, and why hasn't it changed
>> over the years as CPUs get faster and faster ?

Well, I won't bother Tom with this. But I'll ask here:

Should it increase or decrease with a faster CPU?

I've found that increasing it slightly can work wonders to get rid of buffer busy waits, at the expense of a slight increase in CPU use. From 2000 to 3000, for example.

I'm thinking: like so many other things, it's highly dependent on your mix of use. But worth a poke here and there as it can help. But it is definitely arbitrary. I think over the years it's one of those from Oracle that hasn't received much attention. Used to be all the rage in V6 to change its value to astronomical numbers. Then it fell into disuse with V7. Like so many other parameters, it just needs to be taken into consideration, that's all.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Thu Mar 28 2002 - 20:14:50 CST