Re: Data file size in Oracle 8.1.7 for NT

From: Roxl <nospam_Roxl_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 13:55:02 -0800

My memory is that 4GB is the limit - and that this relates to NTFS. Personally I'd never use files > 2GB, but that's my own choice. I can't see any reason for using larger files.

I'd also be worried about recovery times - if you corrupt a block in a 10GB file this will take longer to recover than a corruption in a 1000MB file. Usually the smallest recovery unit is the datafile.... (ie you load an old data file then roll it forward using redo logs).

Cheers,

Richard Gowan