Migrating from Sybase 11.92 to Oracle 8i

From: Bahman Forotanrad <bahman_forotanrad_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Mar 2002 08:05:18 -0800

Hi All,
I am in the process of evaluating a migration from Sybase to Oracle 8i. I initialy was considering DBArtisan or (bcp-SQL*Loader) to do the convesion. However, I came across "ombw" and have been able to move some databases over. I am assuming that we must review all applications, scripts as well as stored procedures and make the changes necessary. I assume there is no easy/clean way to migrate all the stored rocedures from Sybase to Oracle. They still need to be reviewed. I realize that I need to check for the following and update them accordingly:
- how the apps connect to RDBMS(ODBC,JDBC, ...)

By the way, I have a lot of scripts in perl which make use of sybperl, I would like to know if I can re-use them with minimal changes using oraperl? It would be great to see a few samples.

Is there any thing else that I need to prepare for for a successful migration?

I appreciate any positive feedback.

Regards,
B. Received on Thu Mar 28 2002 - 10:05:18 CST