Re: Migrating from Sybase 11.92 to Oracle 8i

From: damorgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:52:12 GMT

At least one person here in this forum is tired of hearing me say this ... but it is still excellent advice. Do not attempt to move code from Sybase to Oracle without reading Tom Kyte's book "expert one-on-one Oracle". Especially the first three chapters. The architecture differences are significant and have turned many, if not most, such migrations into unscalable nightmares. You can easily move tables, indexes, and views. But when it comes to program logic such as triggers, functions, and procedures ... you need to understand and appreciate the very significant differences.

Daniel Morgan