Re: Data file size in Oracle 8.1.7 for NT

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:02:38 -0000

"Randi Wølner" <randiwolner_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:a7uq4a$fes$1_at_oslo-nntp.eunet.no...
> Thanks for your advices, everyone!
>
> It is true that I can just recreate the database if something goes wrong
> (the data in this development environment are not important, as they are
> backup of "the real" data). BUT - as 7 developers are depending on this
> database to be running to do their work, I am concerned about it not to
"die
> a horrible death"..

I'm sure 7 halfway decent developers can easily kill a db if they try hard enough. ;-) Seriously I think backups are just as important for development systems as for production systems. If nothing else they let you prove your backup strategy before going live.

> And the 5 * 2G datafile is something I would like to avoid, as there are
> very large extents in the database that we copy from (so even though
> compress is set to NO there has been some problems related to this
earlier).
> I have come to the conclusion that I will try using a 10G datafile, and if
> it does not work I will just be angry with Oracle software and rather use
> another database in my next project..

I don't see the problem though. As I said before you should be using locally manged tablespaces in 8i with a UNIFORM extent size, and moreover one of a darn sight less than 2gb per extent. I can see that if you had a TB datawarehouse you wouldn't be hugely pleased to be restricted to 2gb files but for 10gb who cares?

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA