Re: END-OF-FILE on communication channel

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 10:12:54 GMT

rajakohli_at_hotmail.com (Raja) wrote:

<snipped>
>To conclude,
>1. Windows 2000 pro when connected through LAN it is OK.
>2. Windows 2000 pro on Desktop over LAN/Dialup is OK.
>3. 95/98, NT or XP over LAN/Dialup and Desktop/Laptop all OK.
>4. Only Windows 2000 pro over Dialup and on Laptop NOT OK.
>
>The dial up connection drops out and the oracle errors show up. It
>seems that windows 2000 default modem settings or TCP/IP settings over
>a dialup differ from other platforms resulting in a failed connection,
>again this is my guess.

Good guess IMO as this problem points directly to Win2000 only. I would not call this an Oracle proble, or think it likely that you will find answers in this forum.

FWIW, I have similar problems with Win2000 Pro on a desktop using PPP. WinME works fine. Linux works fine. On the _same_ machine, same modem, connecting to the same dialup server.

I would check two things - make sure that the PCMCIA modem and device driver work as it should, secondly make sure that the PPP settings are working as expected by runing repeated network tests on the notebook over PPP and see if that works (using Oracle for such tests is not a good idea as it is easier to test using ICMP and other protocols than SQL*Net/Net8).

--
Billy