Re: RI - pros and cons

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:21:33 -0000

"Don Smy" <dons_at_bimtech.com.au> wrote in message news:G8vm8.18178$Hz2.69448_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> A major drawback of using RI is that it tends to make your application
> database vendor specific.

Of course some of us, and I would be one, would argue that that is a good thing.

Just one example.

Our main app create a whole bunch of permanent tables in the database during its transaction processing to hold things like intermediate results etc. At the end of the process it drops them. This is a classic cross platform approach guranteed to work on all the RDBMS systems the vendor supports. In our case the app runs on 8i so the potential for massive performance gains using global temporary tables is huge. The app will *never* use this feature because it has chosen to avoid the 'limitation' of being vendor specific. Being vendor specific is not a technical limitation but a marketing one.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA