Re: hot backup offline db synch

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 06:16:17 +1100

You're describing a standby database, and that was possible in 7.3. But *managed* recovery mode was not available until 8i (where the machines automatically exchange archives, and they are applied automatically at the standby machine). So if you're going to do it, you'll need to sit there manually transferring archives, and manually applying them, unless you are a dab hand with a shell script and cron.

I seriously doubt that 60Gb can be upgraded to 8i in 3 hours, but it's impossible to tell with the information provided.

If the only reason you are contemplating the standby database is that it gives you a 'clone' which can be upgraded leaving the source unaffected and with no downtime, that's a fairly convoluted way to go about it. Standby databases can be invalidated by a single 'nologging' (or 'unrecoverable') DML operation, and assorted bits of DDL will play havoc, too.

The upgrade process does not require you to use export and import: you can do an in-place upgrade, which wouldn't require very much extra disk space at all, and would be much quicker than a full export. So downtime would be required, but not as much as with export. But whether 3 hours is possible... as I say, its impossible to say for sure, but I doubt it.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com