Re: Oracle Forms how is performance?

From: J Alex <jalexanderssd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 23:37:07 GMT

Agree totally - character mode forms are fast. And users love them because, ugly as they are, they can do VERY fast data entry since they don't have to touch the mouse. But this is the last release that will support character based forms. The GUI forms are pretty quick if run on an Intranet that has decent bandwidth..

JSP's definitely run faster, but development time for JSPs takes longer (my experience is they take 3 - 5 times longer than Forms for most non-vanilla screens), unless you use a screen builder like Dreamweaver's UltraDev. UltraDev doesn't allow alot of complexity, so make the screens and underlying tables simple, and let db triggers do the heavy lifting to put the data into the application's 'real' tables.