Re: Oracle on EMC Question

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 19 Mar 2002 12:11:04 +0000 (GMT)

Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net> wrote:

>Agreed. The original poster might also be interested in the Oracle
>white paper (available on OTN) called "Optimal Storage Configuration
>Made Easy" by Juan Loaiza. I don't necessarily subscribe to
>*everything* he says in the paper, but it's definitely a good read. The
>old days of worrying about optimal datafile layout are dwindling fast...

I'm not so sure. I keep coming across people with EMC, IBM or Hitachi arrays who want to present the storage as a bunch of RAID-5 stripes and then position the datafiles accordingly to spread I/O load.

I have no idea why this setup is so popular. IMO it's got all the difficulties of a carefully hand-crafted disk layout with the performance hit of RAID-5 and none of the ease of SAME.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/