Re: Oracle on EMC Question

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 15:29:22 GMT

Andrew Mobbs wrote:

> I'm not so sure. I keep coming across people with EMC, IBM or Hitachi
> arrays who want to present the storage as a bunch of RAID-5 stripes and
> then position the datafiles accordingly to spread I/O load.

That sorta defeats the purpose of SAME though, yes? Anyway, I'm not a fan of RAID-5 stripes. We do RAID 0+1 for all our EMC disk, except the BCV's. Big pools of heavily striped disk, and little or no attention to the datafile layout. Performance screams.

> I have no idea why this setup is so popular. IMO it's got all the
> difficulties of a carefully hand-crafted disk layout with the performance
> hit of RAID-5 and none of the ease of SAME.

Exactly. Seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Regards,
Sean Received on Tue Mar 19 2002 - 09:29:22 CST