Re: Oracle on EMC Question

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:36:43 GMT

Buck Turgidson doodled thusly:

>DBA has placed all the datafiles in one directory (mount point) on the
>EMC array. He maintains that this is necessary with EMC, and the proper
>way to do it, given the caching that EMC does.

No. Most definitely not. The EMC cache is good, but not THAT good! And in fact, you can play quite a lot by allocating different portions of the database (via filesystems) to different LUNs in the EMC. And you can control how much of the cahce is apportioned to each LUN, which makes it a superb way of speeding up critical I/O and smoothing out response on others.

>Can someone verify that this is the case? Our DBA has been known to cut
>corners in the past, so I would like a little peer review of this.

Hmmm, probably not a corner-rounding exercise. More the difficulty in getting things setup the right way in an EMC. It's a steep learning curve. Give him/her time.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Mar 19 2002 - 03:36:43 CST