ORA-12545 Oracle listener dying after approx 60 seconds on Linux

From: JGK <jknudtson_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Mar 2002 10:30:44 -0800

I have a solution to this problem, or at least something that worked for me after a few hours of futzing about. In my case, the difficulty occurred with Oracle Server 8.1.7 on Mandrake Linux 8.1.

The problem really involves a lack of synchronization between the global_name value in the database, and the db_name and db_domain parameter in the init.ora file.

First, do a select * from global_name to verify the actual global database name in the database. An example of global_name value might be

qtdb.rdlinux.salient.com

If the value is not what you like, change it with a command like

alter database rename global_name to qtdb.rdlinux.salient.com

for example.

Now, check the init.ora file for the database and make sure the combination of the db_name and db_domain values will equal global_name above. In other words, in the example above, the value for db_name and db_domain should be:

db_name=qtdb
db_domain=rdlinux.salient.com

If you've made any adjustments, save the files and bounce the listener and the database instance and when they come up they should work correctly.

From: "Tomek" <tomek_at_mga.com.pl_NOSPAM>
Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.server Subject: Re: ORA-12545 Oracle Listener dieing afterapprox 60 seconds on linux RH 7.1
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 17:42:36 +0100
Sender: muholeq_at_poczta.onet.pl_at_195.116.112.160 Message-ID: <9vij1h$kti$1_at_news.onet.pl>

Hello!
"Matt Gross" <NOSPAMmg_reddERASE_at_NOSPAMhotmail.ERASEcom> wrote in message news:9viahp$1fci$1_at_nwall2.odn.ne.jp...
> I'm having a problem with my installation of Oracle 8.1.7 on RH 7.1. It
> seems that the listener dies after about one minute. If I shutdown the
> listener and restart it I can connect from my client machine fine, so long
> as I do it within approximately 60 seconds, but after that the listener
> hangs and I cannot make a connection and get an ORA-12545 error.
can you send me your tracle logs?
regards
tomek Received on Mon Mar 18 2002 - 12:30:44 CST