Re: Everytime I installed Oracle 9i R1 I get this error

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 05:13:19 +1100

Your message isn't really terribly clear, so I'll assume you're running Windows 2000 or similar, you've had 8i running on it perfectly well, but now you've additionally installed Oracle 9i. The 9i installation went smoothly, and everything is working fine, but the 8i agent now refuses to start, whereas before there were no problems. OK, so far?

If that's the problem, it's a known issue, though I'll confess I have no good source for that, other than that the 9i Oracle DBA curriculum was delayed in its rollout for precisely this reason, and I've also seen it on my Windows 2000 Server machine. Personally, I didn't take it too seriously: you only need one agent running on the box at one time, so I just set the 8i one to 'disabled', and life continued normally. That wasn't an option for the training course roll-out, because we had to be able to run both 8i and 9i courses, and 8i utilities can't use the 9i agent (whereas 9i OEM can be used perfectly well to manage both 8i and 9i databases, and is of course happy to use the 9i agent).

Not sure if the dual-running issue was ever resolved... my feeling is that it wasn't, but since we now only train 9i, that's not a practical issue for us anymore.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com