Re: User Rights

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 06:58:22 +1100

Standard source of confusion, Kari.

SYS's password is indeed change_on_install.... but that's only of use when logging on as SYS as an ordinary (though powerful) user. If you want to log on as SYS in super-administrator mode (ie, with the rights to startup, shutdown, backup, recover or create a database) then (somewhat mysteriously, I agree), SYS's password changes to 'oracle'.

Hence: connect sys/change_on_install will work. But issue the startup command and you'll be told 'insufficient privileges'.

connect sys/oracle as sysdba will also work. At which point, startup and shutdown commands will be permitted.

But put the two together as you see to have done, and you're neither fish nor fowl.

You can't get more powerful than connecting with the SYSDBA privilege (as in example two above). So that's the nearest equivalent of the "SA" user in SQL Plus. Don't get into the habit of conencting that way, though. Use the SYS account only when you need to perform administrative actions... you'll find, for example, that you can't export objects owned by SYS, so if you've been logging on as SYS to create a few tables, an index here and there, you'll be in trouble later. For routine powerful use, connect system/manager. SYSTEM is not able to startup and shutdown, but otherwise, he's as powerful as SYS (technically, both SYS and SYSTEM have been granted the same DBA role).

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com