Re: Shared pool Memory question.

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 18:22:59 GMT

damorgan wrote:

> I'm still waiting to hear a "good" reason to put more than one instance on a
> single server. I do not consider management pinching pennies to be a good reason.

Well, everything eventually comes down to $$$, doesn't it? Total Cost of Ownership, as Oracle is fond of saying? ROI? Can you justify the expense for the gain? I don't just mean the price of a single piece of hardware, but what it's costs the business to run one way vs. the other - man hours, maintenance, support costs, etc. Think of how much a new server *really* costs. How much does datacenter space cost per square foot? (Hint: it isn't cheap.) How much do you spend on networking per box? But anyway, here are some concrete examples of "good" reasons not to spend money on one server per instance:

Like I said, It Depends.

> Especially not when you can go to eBay and pick up Solaris and HP servers for
> less than management usually pays for a week's worth of latte's.

;)

> They can spend thousands of dollars in payroll cleaning up messes. But try to
> purchase a depreciable asset and they clutch for their budgets.

Depends on the company I suppose.

Regards,
Sean Received on Fri Mar 15 2002 - 12:22:59 CST