Re: Remote Installation of Oracle 8i on Sun Ultra (Solaris 8)

From: Xuequn Xu <xux_at_informa.bio.caltech.edu>
Date: 14 Mar 2002 21:59:09 GMT

Your sun box does not need to run X-windows, and hence a video card is not needed on it. What you need is a *client* machine (i.e. your PC) that is capable of running the X server (or X-windows, if you want to call it that way). You telnet, or better, ssh into the sun box, set the DISPLAY to your client, and on your client you have X server running. Then you can start the installation.

Paul (paul.cockburn_at_blueyonder.co.uk) wrote:
: Hi,

: I have just acquired a Sun Ultra 1 with Solaris 8 installed.

: I do not have a dedicated monitor for it, and to configure it for
: networking etc., I connected my laptop to it using a null-modem serial
: link.

: I can now telnet to the sun box from the PC's on my local network.

: I now wish to install Oracle 8i, and the oracle documentation tells me
: I need to run X-windows to install it.

: What is the best way to do this?

: Do I need to get a VGA adapter and connect my pc monitor to the video
: card on the sun box, then run x-windows?

: Or can I do this remotely? ie. run the installation from a PC on the
: network and install to the unix box over the network?

: I'd prefer if possible to avoid having to buy a VGA adapter.

: Any advice/help greatly appreciated.

: Paul.