Remote Installation of Oracle 8i on Sun Ultra (Solaris 8)

From: Paul <paul.cockburn_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: 14 Mar 2002 13:38:06 -0800

Hi,

I have just acquired a Sun Ultra 1 with Solaris 8 installed.

I do not have a dedicated monitor for it, and to configure it for networking etc., I connected my laptop to it using a null-modem serial link.

I can now telnet to the sun box from the PC's on my local network.

I now wish to install Oracle 8i, and the oracle documentation tells me I need to run X-windows to install it.

What is the best way to do this?

Do I need to get a VGA adapter and connect my pc monitor to the video card on the sun box, then run x-windows?

Or can I do this remotely? ie. run the installation from a PC on the network and install to the unix box over the network?

I'd prefer if possible to avoid having to buy a VGA adapter.

Any advice/help greatly appreciated.

Paul. Received on Thu Mar 14 2002 - 15:38:06 CST