Re: XHOST

From: S Watkins <thinkunix_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 12:32:31 GMT

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002 13:31:23 +0200, "Dirk Moolman" <dirkm_at_mxgroup.co.za> wrote:

>Question 1:
>
>How can I add a host with "xhost" so that it stays there permanently ? I
>use
>
>"xhost mxsun", but as soon as I reboot my server, the permissions for mxsun
>are gone and I have to run the command again. Is there a configuration file
>in which I can add all the hosts that I want to give access to ?

Find the proper X11 host descriptor for the display you want to use, such as MXScreen:0.0, and add it to the file .xhosts in your home directory.

>Question 2:
>
>I have two servers which do not have a console (Solaris 8), so I have to
>telnet to these servers. When I telnet, I cannot execute xhost. I read
>somewhere that I have to be the controlling host to be able to do this - is
>this correct ?
>How do I become the controlling host of the server so that I can run xhost
>on these 2 servers ?

Just try running the Xserver from the remote host back to your Xdisplay. Do this with a line such as '/usr/openwin/bin/X -display MyXScreen:0.0

Steve Received on Thu Mar 07 2002 - 06:32:31 CST