Re: XHOST

From: Dirk Moolman <dirkm_at_mxgroup.co.za>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 16:18:31 +0200

"AN Kumar" <af281_at_city.ac.uk> wrote in message news:a67jom$kep$3_at_canard.ulcc.ac.uk...

> Dirk Moolman (dirkm_at_mxgroup.co.za) wrote:
> : Question 1:

> : How can I add a host with "xhost" so that it stays there permanently ?
> : use

> : "xhost mxsun", but as soon as I reboot my server, the permissions for
 mxsun
> : are gone and I have to run the command again. Is there a configuration
 file
> : in which I can add all the hosts that I want to give access to ?
>
> Stick it in your .profile or .cshrc perhaps?

You probably mean the Unix startup scripts, so that it will be executed as soon
as the server boots up - that's an idea yes. I was hoping for something simpler, like a configuration file that can be updated
only once.

> : Question 2:

> : I have two servers which do not have a console (Solaris 8), so I have to
> : telnet to these servers. When I telnet, I cannot execute xhost. I read
> : somewhere that I have to be the controlling host to be able to do this -
 is
> : this correct ?
> : How do I become the controlling host of the server so that I can run
 xhost
> : on these 2 servers ?
>
> Nonsense. Once you are on the box, root access will definitely allow you
> use xhost

No, it's true. If I log onto the remote server as root, using rlogin or telnet, I
can't run xhost. Only on the servers that have a console can I run xhost, if I log on directly onto the console. Received on Thu Mar 07 2002 - 08:18:31 CST