Broken database?

From: Graeme Barnett <gbarnett_at_csl.co.uk>
Date: 7 Mar 2002 05:14:51 -0800

I'm a developer with no DBA experience - until now. I've had to try and initialise a database which has been out of order for a while. I've found out that the database control files don't exist anymore. I learnt from searching old 'comp.databases.oracle.server' messages how to use the create controlfile command.

The command I'm running brings up the following error:

ORA-1053: CREATE CONTROLFILE failed
ORA-01565: error in idenfifying file '...'
ORA-27046: file size is not a multiple of logical block size

I am concerned as the data files don't show the standard system data files that I'm used to seeing. I.e. system01.dbf and users01.dbf etc. Am I up the proverbial canal without a paddel?

The list of the oradata directory is included below:

ts_1.ora
ts_2.ora
etc..
ts_6.ora

data01.dbf
index01.dbf
rollback_01.dbf
temp.ora

(and .log files)

In my create controlfile statement I only included the 'data01.dbf' in the DATAFILE section and it created the error. Does this mean it is totally corrupt?

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Regards,

Graeme Received on Thu Mar 07 2002 - 07:14:51 CST