Re: [X] Tree/Graph structure in many-to-many relationship, avoiding/detecting circularity

From: OddesE <OddesE_XYZ_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 Mar 2002 05:14:38 -0800

71062.1056_at_compuserve.com (--CELKO--) wrote in message news:<c0d87ec0.0203041245.491fcf7c_at_posting.google.com>...
> I think that your entire approach is wrong, but it is
> probably too late to save yourself.

I think that is a bit negative. As I said in my post, I didn't design the database, I am just using it. I have just done a bit of research to learn to use it and discovered the problem with the circular references. What is so wrong about my approach?

<SNIPPED: Good explanation of Adjacency  List Model versus Nested Sets Model for  representing trees in a graph>

I agree that the Nested Sets Model you described looks very promising. If I ever design a database that uses a tree structure somewhere, I will definitely consider using it. However, I can't now because the database structure is already in place. Also, I think that the nested sets model cannot be easily extended to allow for graphs instead of trees, or am I wrong?
You see, the structure I am describing is a graph that should be _represented_ in a tree. This will work fine as long as there is no circularity in the graph.

A few questions about the nested sets model:

--
Stijn
OddesE_XYZ_at_hotmail.com