Re: Selecting a Primary Key for the table.

From: Ganesh Raja <ganesh_at_gtfs-gulf.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 15:45:53 +0400

It just depends on your need of the moment is my feekings.

let us say u have a Table whose Natural Key is Three Columns and this table is being Refered by 12 Othere Tables then it is always better to go ahead and use a surrogate key instead of puttin that has the PK and thus Incurring the Overhead of these Columns Being there on all the tables.

HTH On 4 Mar 2002 08:22:58 -0800, rprakashg_at_hotmail.com (Ram) wrote:

>I have a question regarding selecting a primary key for the table.
>Is it a good design to have multiple primary keys as compared to a one
>primary key auto generated in pre-insert trigger from a sequence and
>creating unique constraints on columns that need to be unique.
>
>Oracle documentation says try a stick with single primary key as far
>as possible. Our DBA's seem to have an alternative point of view. I'd
>like to hear from other DBA's out there.
>

>TIA - Ram

[Additions and Corrections Always Welcome.] Best Regards,
Ganesh R Received on Wed Mar 06 2002 - 05:45:53 CST